To the outsiders, investment banking career may look glamorous – with high profile meetings with those high net worth individuals; mergers and acquisitions – it does give an impression of a career that is high-flying, posh, sophisticated, and yes glamorous.
But wait… what outsiders get to see is just a tip of an iceberg there is a lot of hard work that goes behind the scenes, which the outsiders don’t get to see. However, if you wish to have a career in investment banking then here are somethings to remember.
Investment Banking – a high profile career!
Investment banking can be called as a high profile profession because of the chores that an investment banker performs on a regular basis i.e. on a day-to-day basis. The aspiring finance students seeking a career in investment banking in the present world are taking numerous online programs to stay updated in the field. Aside from the money as the top attraction, what attracts the millennials to this world of finance? The glamorous day-to-day tasks like –
- Prescheduled meetings with analysts, business leaders, corporate lawyers, and CEOs at their five-star offices
- Take part in numerous industry seminars, talks, and sessions organized in various five-star hotels or resorts
- And if what an investment banker did through the day were not enough here she is expected to attend the after-hour parties again at five-star clubs, hotels, resorts, or even lounges where she is expected to talk shop with her peers and various other business leaders
Well, in reality there are no after-hours in investment banking, and the professionals have to be on their toes 24×7. Probably that’s one reason why millennials seek a career in investment banking to have a social life that is not offered by any other profile in the finance industry. The social life that everyone envies comes with a price of being under pressure of converting the potential clients into customers.
As discussed earlier, high earnings, is the sure shot lure for the millennials but other than that the high profile social life is another reason they are lured in to investment banking.
All this said and done, for those interested in a career in investment banking need to know that there are certain trends that will be driving investment banking in the future like – regulations, technology, workforce shift, and the tech-savvy future generation.
Some of the skills you will need to brush up on if seeking a career in investment banking –
- You need to have strong analytical and numerical skills
- You need to display excellent team leadership skills and excellent team work
- Brush up on your interpersonal and communication skills
- Develop time and project management ability
- Other skill you need is energy, commitment, and dedication
- You also need to develop self-confidence along with the ability to take difficult decisions
- Don’t forget to work on your ability to work under pressure and cope well in stressful situations
As you develop these skills, you should also concentrate on gaining work experience through internships and working in a finance companies to understand the nitty-gritties of the world of finance.
But worry not, as you will be able to nail all this if you are a certified investment banker and opt for a certification in investment banking.