Among all career streams, photography seems to be a challenging and creative sphere of work. For some who may work in regular jobs relating to photography in newspapers, others go on to choose adventure photography. Whatever form of photography you go on to choose you might be forced to deal with tons of challenges or hurdles and achieve a pedigree of satisfaction if you want to make a mark in this field. Joining a good photography school would be the perfect way to start off things.
If you feel that you can deal with this type of work, and are ready to encounter various challenges that come along with it, give attention to some definite points so as to make it big in this stream
- In comparison to virtually any other stream, photography field has a demand for degrees. For this reason you need to take admission in a photography course of a reputed institute. You can pursue your creative insights in this field of work before you explore professional avenues for work. This would also become fairly important to gain an idea about this field of work and for this you might have to achieve this.
- The second most important thing which you need to figure out while doing a photography course would be which field of photography appeals to you. There is loads of options- fashion, food wedding etc. Opt for one that you are most skilled at and have a definite interest. An honest view point on what interests you and how you can go about it without minimum fuss would be the key. Once again this is a professional photography course that would enable you to decide
- Next start to take up internships and gain experience in this field. You might have to work under a main photographer as an assistant till you possess enough amount of experience before taking up work. This is something that you need to achieve at any costs
- A lot of budding photographers feel that internships would provide you with sufficient levels of experience. But it does not work that way as in due course of time you start to build contacts in the industry. This would enable you to get assignments or jobs in this domain. Mostly word of mouth publicity is relevant in this line of work and you need to ensure that you work upon building a rapport in this industry. This means people would consider you for employment opportunities if it comes up.
- Once you are done with your course, another important thing that you need to do is to build a portfolio. This is your resume in the field of photography. Formulate your own pictures of work and then go on to develop a portfolio. This is a definite area that you might have to address if you are looking for employment opportunities in this line of work.
Do make it a point that you have the five qualities before choosing the stream of photography.