Engineers working in the foundry use distinct Non Destructive Testing Techniques with NDT Testing Equipment to avail best results. One of the techniques is radiography.
Radiography is suitable for detecting internal defects in ferrous and non-ferrous metals and other materials. Electrically generated X-rays and emitted Gamma rays from radio-active isotopes, are penetrating radiation which is absorbed by the material in different way through which it passes. The more thickness results in more absorption.
Beneficial Technology that offers various Advantages like:
- All data and information is pictorially available
- A permanent record is delivered which may be viewed at a time and place that is far from the test
- This technique is useful for thin sections
- You can use radiography technique on any material
Disadvantages of Radiography
- You can’t perform radiography on thick sections
- It brings health hazard
- You need to direct the beam in right way for two-dimensional defects
- It is unsuitable for surface defects, automation (condition apply)
Another technique is magnetic particle inspection. It is suitable for detecting surface and near surface discontinuities in magnetic material, like iron and ferritic steel. Its principle is to create magnetic flux in the object to be tested. This technique not only helps in detecting those defects, which are invisible to the naked eye, but also renders easily visible defects that would otherwise need close surface scrutiny.
Advantages of Magnetic Particle Crack Detection:
- It is quantitative technique
- There is simplicity of operation and application
- It can be automated, apart from viewing
Disadvantages of Magnetic Particle Crack Detection
- This method is limited to ferromagnetic materials
- It is limited to surface or near surface flaws
Dye penetrant testing is another method which is rapidly used for the detection of surface breaking flaws in non-ferromagnetic materials. This technique is used for examining chemical cleaning process, usually by vapor phase. This tehcnqiue helps in removing all traces of foreign material, grease, debris, dirt, etc. from the surface and inside the cracks.
Advantages of Dye Penetrant Testing
- It is simple to perform
- This technique is ideal for surface breaking cracks in non-ferrous metals
- It is suitable for automatic testing, with reservation concerning viewing
- It is quantitative method
Disadvantages of Dye Penetrant Testing
- It is limited to surface breaking defects only
- It uses considerable amount of consumables
- There is decreased sensitivity
All these NDT testing techniques involves specialized tools available at NDT Testing Equipment Manufacturers store. Contact EIE experts who are already dealing in these equipments throughout the world.